Friday 25 April 2008

A Little Girl- The Genius of Tomorrow.

I would like to write about a little girl I met recently.

"Are you going to feed the baby pet lambs" she would say, "Of course, would you like to come?" I replied.

Every day this little girl would come with me to feed the lambs, and everyday it would take us 20 minutes to get her wellies and boiler suit on, but those 20 minutes were never wasted. Those 20 minutes were filled with recollections of what happened last week, things she wanted to do, and always flashes of her incredible sense of humour. I was as bad as her for getting ready, as I would tickle her a mess around, but we shared frequent moments of sheer laughter.

One day that particularly stands out in my mind was a snowy Grand Prix Sunday afternoon. After playing games with her and her dad in the kitchen, we started to fool around tickling each other. It was her turn to tickle me. I usually have the ability to resist the urge to laugh but she caught me off guard, and I flew backwards onto the floor taking the chair with me. Her and myself laughed so hard and so long, and couldn't look at each other for laughing- that moment was so pure.

The days grew longer for me lambing sheep and the weather got colder, it was fair to say that my enthusiasm was taking a beating, but things had to be done and I had to get on with it. Then the little girl came out with me, her high spirit, in turn lightened mine, and the day got much better. she really was a bright light on a cold windy day, and from that day on I knew if I was feeling down I only had to wait until the school bus came before I would be cheered up.

The sheer brilliance of this little girl never ceased to amaze me, such intelligence encased in such a young mind must be torture for her, as those who don't know her just see an 8yr old and not the mind she possesses. Fortunately for her she has a fantastic mother who sees this and encourages it.

Another day which stood out for me was when an older lady came to see the pet lambs, naturally I was there with the little girl. The lady looked on at the little girl's bursting personality and you could see the old mind in this lady was just dying to give her a smacked bottom and tell her to be quiet. The whole time I thought, perhaps you would like her to be a little quieter, but just maybe you can see her brilliance, and perhaps you should embrace what is there instead of trying to change it, after all the mind in this little girl is most probably the genius of tomorrow.

Its safe to say that this little girl is has the most enchanting spirit and has the ability to make the best of everything, if only we could all be like her!!

I didn't want to include this little fact at the start, but this Little girl is autistic. I would really like people to comment on this blog as I would like to to know just out of interest whether people would have read this blog differently if they had known right from the start.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am awestruck by your confidence to write about someone so passionately. Your feelings towards this child shine through, long may they continue.

Crystal xx

merry weather said...

If you can perceive the bright light that shines out of children this clearly, be they autistic or not, you're someone special!

Lovely blog - and do keep going!

Mr Pineapples said...

And another thing:

Please DONT call me "Hun" anymore. My wife doesnt like it.

Thanks

Bye Babe

Mignon said...

I would of read it just the same. I have 2 lil girls and know exactly the joy and cheer they can bring.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.